The elements that make the Reggio Approach meaningful for me are the following: 1. a strong image of children 2. project based learning 3. documentation of learning in the classroom through the lens of the children (this is how I learn....this is what I understand....this is what I am thinking about...this is what I want to learn more about and this is how I would like to learn it) 4. aesthetics of the classroom 5. Environment as the third teacher 6. Scaffolding, Provocations, Listening, listening, listening...7. Authentic and emergent curriculum and the lived curriculum in the classroom (always emerging and growing - this is the dandelion theory without the technology aspect) 8. Learning to see the beauty and embrace the tension. 9. Constructivist, art based - inquiry based learning. 10. Finding a collaborative partner (network) to talk with about all this learning and unpacking what is going on in my classroom with another colleague is my journey that I am currently trying to map.
This year I have had some successes. Two of my pieces of writing on the work in my classroom are being published with Sue Fraser's 3rd edition, Authentic childhood, which will come out probably in the new year. Sue also wrote a piece which will appear in the book about the aesthetics of my classroom. This was quite exciting and Sue is a wonderful mentor. I feel very privileged and humbled by her presence in my life.
My big question is how do I share my work with teachers in my school? In my district? I think this work demonstrates one of the really important paradigm shifts in thinking about learning and 'learning with children' in this new age of knowledge.
My second question is about technology in early primary....I think I am trying to explore ways to use the computer to extend our understanding about the world we live in but I am still unclear in my mind as to what I am trying to unearth....I believe I want the kids to be able to 'create' new understandings so i guess the program needs to be interactive (like the text/document program Mejh showed us - they probably could use something similar?) and
maybe so several kids could be on the program at once drawing text???? Also maybe working with a class set of digital cameras and a program that would allow us to document our learning re: through photographs of actual nature walks???? Map making???? Any ideas anyone? I am trying to make the shift to 'co-creating text in a collaborative way' with the children and I working together. These literacies/languages/ text would integrate across all curriculum. I need to stop now because I think I am definitely wandering. Hope this makes sense and someone has some feedback out there in the world.
Perhaps one way to share your work is to offer to do a presentation on a school professional development day and I do not know how your district does District Day - but in ours they put invitations to all teachers to present and if people sign up for your session then you get to share with those interested in your district. Plus another way is to become the Pro D rep for your school. Does your district have a Learning Community Team? That is another way to share your work with teachers in your district. I find that displaying my students' work/projects in the school will often create questions and interest from other teachers. I certainly know that when I see finished products of my colleagues' classes - I am intrigued and ask lots of questions.
ReplyDelete